Pharmacy Briefing is a monthly summary of select U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approvals and launches, treatment guidelines and research updates, and other newsworthy events that have the potential to impact commercial drug utilization or costs.
- Express Scripts publishes “2019 Drug Trend Report”
- FDA issues 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) statement, warns of potential supply chain disruptions
- Clarivate identifies 11 potential blockbuster drugs in 2020 edition of “Drugs to Watch” list
- OptumRx publishes “Drug Pipeline Insights Report”
- Four indicted in prescription scam involving compounding pharmacy and physicians
FDA Approvals and Launches
- A generic version of ProAir HFA (albuterol sulfate), one of the most commonly prescribed asthma inhalers, is approved.
- Nexletol (bempedoic acid), a once-daily oral medication, is approved to treat high cholesterol as a secondary option to statin therapy.
- Voltaren (diclofenac gel) and Pataday (olopatadine ophthalmic solution) are approved for over-the-counter (OTC) use for pain/inflammation and allergic conjunctivitis, respectively.
- Pizensy (lactitol) is approved for the treatment of chronic idiopathic constipation.
- Twirla (levonorgestrel/ethinyl estradiol) transdermal patch is approved for use as once-weekly contraceptive.
- Trulicity (dulaglutide) receives additional indication to reduce cardiovascular events in patients with type 2 diabetes with or without established cardiovascular disease.
- Nurtec ODT (rimegepant) orally disintegrating tablets are approved for the acute treatment of migraines.