Health actuaries have seen unprecedented challenges this year because of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. It has disrupted all facets of the U.S. healthcare system. How the pandemic affects an insurer’s financial statement will vary based on the distribution between lines of business, areas of service, and support channels.
As chief financial officers and actuaries attempt to determine the pandemic’s effect on year-end financial statements, the following five issues will require additional attention:
- Premium deficiency reserves
- Provider financial solvency
- Incurred but not reported (IBNR) claim estimates
- Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) risk adjustment
- Appropriate documentation
Milliman’s Catherine Murphy-Barron, Doug Norris, and Daniel Perlman take a closer look at these five issues in their article “Year-end health actuarial work: Five things to consider in light of COVID-19.”